Parent/Guardian information and requirements for a safe and successful IV sedation Information. (This packet will also be provided by your dentist.) Patient Consultation Package
Before Your Visit
- NO FOOD, MILK OR FORMULA for 6 hours before the procedure.
- Give CLEAR LIQUIDS (water, apple juice, Gatorade) until 3 hours before the scheduled procedure time.
- Nothing by mouth for the last 3 hours
- Failure to follow these instructions may result in delay or cancellation of your child’s procedure.
For your child’s well being and comfort please follow these instructions.
- Your child will need your undivided attention for the first 3—4 hours after the procedure
- Please bring another adult with you to help with your child on the way home
- Dress your child in loose comfortable clothing ,short sleeves underneath something is preferred.(This makes the giving shot easier
Bring a change of clothes (children sometimes wet themselves while asleep) and a small blanket
Please make arrangements for your other children. If your child develops a COLD (an upper respiratory infection) or a cough, Please call Dr. Tucker’s office. 330-598-1556
At the end of the dental procedure your child is carefully attended by the pediatric anesthesiologist until safely recovered and then allowed to finish waking up with you and her nurse. Most children are ready to go home within 30 to 60 minutes.
Every type of sedation has side effects. Dizziness is the most common, nausea and vomiting are rare. More serious risks are extremely rare but include allergic or unexpected reactions to medications. Should one of these rare reactions occur; further treatments, tests or even hospitalization may be necessary.
Back at Home
Expect your child to be sleepy or dizzy for several hours, so no activities that require coordination on their part. Numbness in the mouth may upset young children. Nausea and vomiting are rare. If your child experiences any unexpected symptoms such as fever or bleeding call Dr. Tucker. Feel free to call Dr. Tucker with any questions regarding recovery at any time.